Who grabs a hot dog and beer on the ninth whole? Who feels sluggish by the end of the round? Nutrition during the round is just as important as pre and post round nutrition, but is often overlooked. Here are some quick tips to keep you fueled on the golf course.
First and foremost, hydration! Even just a little bit of dehydration can have performance consequences. Thirst is not a good indicator to drink up. By the time you are thirsty you are already dehydrated!
- Daily water intake should be half of your body weight in ounces (200 lbs = 100oz)
- Half of your daily intake should be consumed during the round (I know, I know. No one wants to stop for bathroom breaks. But if you don't need to go to the bathroom, you’re probably dehydrated!)
- Electrolytes should be included
- Skip out on the sports drinks- unnecessary added sugars
- Add a pinch of unrefined sea salt to your water- you shouldn’t be able to taste it!
- Adding electrolyte mixes, such as LivPur Hydration, can be helpful
If you’ve ever experienced symptoms such as shaking hands, fatigue and nausea during the round, it’s probably because your blood sugar is low. How to maintain blood sugar levels? SNACKS! Who doesn’t love snacks?
When to snack?
- If you don’t snack during the round currently, start slow. Snack on holes 6&12.
- If this isn’t enough, add another snack to the round. Snack on 5, 10 & 15.
- Still not enough? Add another one! Snack on 4, 8, 12 and 16.
What to snack on?
- Easily digestible foods
- Avoid processed and sugary foods/ drinksInclude protein, fat and fiber in snacks
- Examples of snacks: jerky and nuts, nuts and apples, trail mix, dried fruit and nuts.
Dr. Curry’s During-the-Round Go-To’s
- Minimum of two 20oz water bottles (as many as four during hot rounds)
- 3 quick snacks throughout the round (~#4, at the turn, ~#14)
- Some of my favorites are trail mix with dried fruits, Nature’s Bakery Fig Bars, and peanut butter filled pretzels
Remember, this information varies between each golfer. Finding what works for you is trial and error. Ease into snacking during your round, and appreciate the energy these foods provide you with!